Monday, January 21, 2008

Recent Highlights

Two highlights of the year so far:

An inspiring weekend working with young students at the Talent Developing Studio in Hanvor, VA. Working on music with these hard-working students reminded me that it's really refreshing and joyful to start with musical ideas and then work on technique to fit those ideas. My tendency is to start with technique in my own work, in spite of my own very wise teacher's admonitions to start with music!

Great art makes us feel things - it challenges whatever numbness we might have. It also gives us a fresh perspective. Tonight I had both experiences as I watched and listened to my colleague's works Windows, Doors, and Metal. The images used in these works were beautiful and suggested many forms and ideas. The music was compelling at times and hypnotic at others. Thank you Dr. Guthrie!

1 comment:

Virginia Tenor said...

For me, This post is at the root of our discussion about the sequence of musical engagement with students... Overall, it requires balance, but I began my career with Discipline, Passion, and little to no application..

New Paradigm for me is
Passion first, Discipline second, and then Application.
All must be present like the legs of a stool to grow.