Friday, January 25, 2008

Tired!

One of the challenging tensions of being a musician is that it reminds you, pretty much on a daily basis, that you are both spirit and flesh.

Music is an emotional, intellectual, and spiritual endeavor.

At the same time, it's physical.

The combination complicates one's life, but I think it keeps you aware that you really are living!

Today I'm facing some fatigue that's standing in the way of me feeling up to par musically. My hands are arms are tired and I'm not reading as well as I normally do. Those things make me feel uncertain at the piano. And because I'm tired, my mind leaps from topic to topic instead of staying on the task at hand.

Work, other responsibilities, changes in schedule, over-practicing - all these things can contribute to a musician being tired.

I almost forgot - bad nutrition, lack of exercise and rest also play a role!

Also, clicking the mouse and staring at the computer screen.

So, I'm going home to take a nap and then do very little until rehearsing tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Virginia Tenor said...

I felt this way this week.. Funny, with me the fatigue is so totally overwhelming... I have managed it by simply sitting and looking out the window and then by just doing some singing for fun.