Saturday, June 18, 2005

Practicing Violin

Several posts back I wrote about my occasional desire to compose and of how composing lies outside of the main focus of my training and talent. A friend commented about the possibility that composing might give me additional insight into playing the piano. It's my understanding that most pianists in the 19th century composed for that very reason, if for no other.

Speaking of supplementary musical activities that might strengthen a musician in his or her major area of work, I played violin in a little ensemble at a church talent night not too long ago. I studied violin for many years growing up, but I'm much better suited to the piano. I find the violin physically uncomfortable to play, not to mention the unpleasantness of all that friction that close to my ear. So while it is an incredibly expressive instrument, it's not much of a tool for me to use to express anything pleasant!

As I prepared for the talent night performance, I thought about how hard I'd have to work to sound very good on a violin. When I thought of the amount of discipline it would require, I wondered what would happen to my piano playing if I applied myself to it with the same drive.

It's unlikely that I'll ever try to maintain that type of drive with either instrument. It isn't necessary, and I have other responsibilities in life. But, the thought of working at making my violin playing sound good did invigorate my piano practice for a few days.

Another interesting note regarding performing on an instrument on which I do not excel is that when I do it, it seems like I encounter parts of myself that I don't frequently encounter at the piano. At the piano, more music and expression are present and somehow take the focus off of me; but at the violin, who I am in a non-musical way seems to be more present in my mind.

No comments: