Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Bloch: Schelomo

This morning we listened to Bloch's Schelomo at breakfast. This is a work for orchestra and solo cello that conveys the tone of the book of Ecclesiastes. The cello plays the role of the preacher whose words we find in the book.

The most prominent structural features of this sweeping work are its three huge climaxes, each of which differs in character from the others. I was struck by the extended periods of time Bloch is able to sustain the intensity of these musical peaks.

I've always been stunned by the dissipation of the first climax which is about 8 minutes into the work. The frenzy of flutes and clarinets immediately following that climax suggest to me the flash of a flock of birds startled by a crash of thunder.

The first time I heard this piece was during Christmas break of my second year at Juilliard. A friend had given me the recording, and I listened to it at home in North Carolina. Around the same time, a family friend who was believed to be suffering from Parkinson's disease got confused driving home and became lost. After several days of searching, he was found on a dirt road in the woods, peaceful, but expired. Needless to say, that sad happening and those bleak winter days always come to my mind when I listen to Schelomo.

No comments: