Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Good Times in Florida

My 200th blog post!



I started the day with the discovery of this creature moping around our screened-in porch. He's the creepiest frog I've come across.




His body looks pretty much like the head of a snake, which leaves you wondering where the rest of the snake is.


He's mean-looking, too.
(Click on the photos to see up close, if you dare.)


This afternoon, I rehearsed my beginning band piece with the beginning band. I learned several things from the process:

Harmonic 4ths, 5ths, and octaves chosen from a minor pentatonic collection that I thought would sound austere and bluesy by turns are much more dissonant and complex-sounding due to the tuning difficulties of beginners.

True accelerandi require too much coordination with the conductor to really work at this level.

On the positive side, I think my piece is a good teaching tool that invites awareness of some jazz traditions as well as allowing for a little culture to be built up around studying the piece. It's a rhapsody that begins with a fanfare, has a 12-bars blues progression, a stop-time in which the low brass get to stand up and play Glenn Miller-style, and a call-and-response build-up at the end.


Back at home, we had fresh tangelo juice squeezed from the crop of our own tree. Very sweet juice.

After supper, I took a cool jog to Lake Hunter.

No comments: