Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unexpected Discovery

Tonight, I was exploring recordings of "The Maiden and the Nightingale" by Granados. I'm studying the piece now, which is saturated with performance directions regarding fluctuations of rhythm. I wanted to hear how other pianists have interpreted these and other markings.

There are a lot of good recordings of the piece on-line, but the exciting surprise for me was the discovery of an exceptional pianist I had never come across before. His name was Harry Vooren and was a student of de Larrocha, according to the note on YouTube.

His recording demonstrates playing that is full of details without losing sweep, elegant without losing emotion.

The second post I wrote on this blog back in 2005 just happened to be about the piece "The Maiden and the Nightingale."

No comments: