Tuesday, September 18, 2007

From Baltimore to Murfreesboro

Night before last, I drove back from Baltimore to Murfreesboro after spending three days in the William Garrison Collaborative Piano Competition. One of many wonderful aspects of the experience was the renewed sense of purpose and belonging here in Murfreesboro. This is home to me now, and as always, I was happy when I drove up the hill and around the curve to see the Murfreesboro skyline (a few street lights across a field.) A startled deer leapt from the roadside, across the ditch, and ran to dark woods.


I learned or re-learned lots of important lessons this weekend.

1. It is very good to view music-making in a broader context than the music itself. Jeff had chosen a set of sacred songs to include in our repertoire for the competition, and the judges chose several of those songs for us to perform. That allowed us to witness to our beliefs and to worship on Sunday morning at the same time we were performing for the judges.

2. Competitions that pit voices against instruments put judges in a tricky bind. Vocal and instrumental music are clearly different genres, are hard to compare and contrast, and many musicians tend to specialize in one or the other.

3. Playing in the competition confirmed, yet again, the importance of balance. From a technical standpoint, I ideally approach the instrument in such a way as to be active, but not to waste energy. That wasted energy can create tension and playing problems. I felt our performances had balance in another way. We maintained technical control while also engaging all of the passion within us to perform. Often, one of these can interfere with the other.

4. Unknowns create tension. Not trying out the instrument in the hall before playing, not knowing who the judges are, not knowing which works they will request to hear: all of these things made the semi-final round very tense.

5. Regarding our repertoire, we learned that the second of Liszt's Petrarch Sonnets probably stands alone the best of the three.

6. The esoteric experience of playing for judges gave new life to my belief in the importance of performancing and the appropriateness of joy and freedom being part of performing in a normal public setting.

7. When you work hard applying all you've been taught, and when you know you've executed your plans well while managing yourself in relation to your environment, then you can have a sense of achievement and pride in your accomplishment that doesn't require affirmation from others.


Things I really liked about the weekend:

Spending three days with my good friend Jeff

Showing him around Baltimore

Seeing the renovations at Peabody

Being warmly welcomed by Mr. Shirley-Quirk and Dr. Falby at Peabody

Hearing Alan Walker's speech and Petri's Ricordanza recording

Visiting with other competitors and Peabody graduates, ushers, Liszt Society officers

Attending Mass

Staying at Ariel and Vivien's home

Thinking of my parents while on a breezy morning walk in the Dechosa's beautiful neighborhood

Ariel's prayers for us that encouraged us to boldly witness

Realizing the quality of colleagues I have at Chowan

Returning home to where I belong

1 comment:

Virginia Tenor said...

Thanks Charles. I have been looking for a framework to form my comments from the weekend as well. Your post certainly provided it.

1. I completely echo all of your thoughts about the performance and festival itself. The pressure was intense, but at the same time the structure was freeing because of the focus that it provided. Your thoughts about joy in the performance and balance are right on point.

2. I too was reaffirmed in my choices to live in Richmond and invest in my local community via Da Capo. When I sat down in my sunroom to talk with Tracee is was wonderful. I was tired, but renewed.

3. Singing on the "big stage" is exhilarating but I'm not sure that it has any more value than the wonderful concerts that we regularly perform for neighbors, churchgoers, and friends. I particularly cherish the events at my home churches in Richmond, Martinsville and the special events in Lasker.

4. I think my favorite aspect of the weekend was the fellowship with you, Ariel and Vivian along with the phrase in Dr Walkers' remarks where he advised musicians to "get a life" so that they would have something to say in their playing.

5. The ability to utilize the sacred repertoire in a worship experience during the first and last songs of the finals was very exciting.

Most importantly, I think this experience reminded me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and that I simply need to breathe, and Be still and know the Lord.

http://vatenor.blogspot.com/2006/08/breathe-says-lord.html