Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Picture This

I recently attended the final performances of the Virgina State Baptist Youth Music Camp which was taking place at Eagle Eyrie in Lynchburg. I was impressed by the variety of disciplines the participants were exposed to during their week there: choral singing of course, but also orchestral playing, expressive movement, African Drumming, and my favorite - "Picture This."

The "Picture This" students had put together an inspiring powerpoint presentation including text, images, and movement that unfolded in sync with a choral performance of a song entitled "Above All." Reading the text on the screen and seeing the various images they had selected greatly enhanced my experience of the message of the song. These things seem to help the message reach more deeply inside of me.

I think this is a superb way to use technology to add another layer of meaning to worship. It would also provide a way for deaf or illiterate congregation members to particilate more fully in corporate acts of worship.

1 comment:

Virginia Tenor said...

I agree that the technology is interesting and as you know, I have used it effectively for many years.. but...

Does it get in the way of just listening and allowing the music to move?
Does it cater to an MTV generation too much, so that every interpretation and thought has to be provided to them...How do they learn to really think and be creative on their own, with so much locked down for them?

my thoughts go to books.. movies are entertaining, but the books are so much deeper... allow for so much more of "me" in the reading. my ideas of characters, their thoughts, reasons, etc..

Where is the line here.. Brahms vs Wagner round 2? I think I (as a singer) need to learn more about pure music and its impact before relying so heavily on the program aspects inherent to vocal performances.

the lack of refinement in our culture today worries me...

I am not sure what I said there.. but rather than rewrite it.. I'll just let it stand and you can read it as me thinking out loud...

Thanks for listening, reading...for just being..